The Biographic File (BIO) contains one record per applicant, listing biographic and demographic data, such as name, birthdate, and address. This information is generally not repeated in other files to maintain data integrity, but is used to produce reports, labels and letters. Because of its importance, a Bio record must exist for each student before student-related processing (i.e., Tracking, Evaluation, Packaging) can occur in SAM. Since this data is not particular to any Aid Year, only one Biographic record is kept regardless of the number of years the student applies for aid.
Common Usage examples
- Get the names of students for a financial aid report.
- Find students applying for financial aid who are from Philadelphia.
- Report on the number of early decision students who applied for financial aid.
- Find students in special admissions populations (e.g., Questbridge).
||Indexed Data Elements
- Although SID is the record key, it is a protected field, and cannot be seen or used in Data Warehouse reports. Tables in the Business Objects universe are joined on Penn_ID.
- Data are extracted nightly from the Student Aid Management system (SAM) on the administrative mainframe. Some of the data in the SAM Bio file originate in the Undergraduate Admissions system.
Questions about this page? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
|Information Systems and Computing|
University of Pennsylvania
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania