Reference table with current data on Knowledge Link courses. A course is a
formal educational unit that deals with a particular subject. A course provides
training to members of the Penn Community in support
of their academic activities and job responsibilities at the University
and/or at the University of Pennsylvania Health System.
You can identify a course by its CO_MAS_ID or COURSE_MASTER_ID.
The LMS_COURSE_MASTER table has one record per course, and
includes descriptive information (such as the latest owner, title, and description
of the course)
as well as information on the status of the course.
The LMS_COURSE_MASTER table is an enhanced version of the COURSE_MASTER table,
and was developed to support ad hoc reporting.
- Displaying the COURSE_MASTER_ID or the latest title of the course, rather
than the numeric ID number that appears in a related table.
- Selecting courses to be included in a report based on their status.
||Indexed Data Elements
- The LMS_COURSE_MASTER table stores only current information
on Knowledge Link courses.
- If a record once existed for course
X, but that record was deleted, there
is no way
tell from the
LMS_COURSE_MASTER table that the course ever existed.
- The LMS_COURSE_MASTER table stores
information on the latest course version's owner, title, and description.
on earlier versions is available in the COURSE_OBJECT table where LMS_COURSE_MASTER.CO_MAS_ID
- There are several data elements that provide information about the course's
- The COURSE_MASTER_ID is a string that uniquely identifies the course
to Knowledge Link users. One example is 'UNIV_ALL_EHRS_BPYIP'.
(The value is stored without the quotes.) See the documentation on the
COURSE_MASTER_ID data element for more information on how the value of
the identifying string is determined.
- The CO_MAS_ID is a number (such as 11883) used to uniquely identify
the course within the Knowledge Link system.
- A course usually (but not always) has at least one course version.
Because Knowledge Link
does not track a title, description, or owner for the course itself,
the LMS_COURSE_MASTER table stores the information
for the latest
version of the course.
- Actually, the information is for
the version of the course that has the highest version number.
This is usually, but not always, the course version whose iterations
in the future, or were scheduled most recently in the past.
- A course may have more than one version. For example, if the
course covers Software Package X, version 1 of the
course might cover Software Package X release 2.0, and version
2 of the
course might cover Software Package X release 3.5.
Information on the latest course
is available in the COURSE_OBJECT table where LMS_COURSE_MASTER.LATEST_CO_REC_ID
- There are some records in LMS_COURSE_MASTER for courses with
no course versions. For such courses, LATEST_CO_REC_ID,
LATEST_COURSE_TITLE, LATEST_COURSE_DESCRIPTION, LATEST_COURSE_OWNER_BU_NUMBER,
LATEST_COURSE_OWNER_BU_ID, and LATEST_COURSE_OWNER_BU_NAME will
- Note: it is common for more than one course
to have the same LATEST_COURSE_TITLE.
- For information on the versions of a given course, see the COURSE_OBJECT
table where LMS_COURSE_MASTER.CO_MAS_ID
- COURSE_STATUS indicates whether the course is active ('A') or inactive
('I'). (The value is stored without the quotes.) A course must be active
when a record is created to:
- establish a version of the course. (See
the COURSE_OBJECT table.)
- set up an iteration of the course. (See the COURSE_ITERATION table.)
An iteration is an offering of a particular version of the course.
- name the course as part of a package. (See the PKG_CRS_JOIN table.)
A package is a set of courses that may be taken in any order, and that
can be assigned to a business unit using one assignment specification.
- assign the course to a business unit. (See the KNODE_CRS_JOIN table.)
A business unit (also known as a BU, role, Knowledge Node, or K Node)
is a set of one or more Knowledge Link users.
- have a Knowledge Link user register as a trainee for the course. (See
the LMS_REGISTRATION and REGISTRATION tables.)
- The GRANDFATHERING_VALUE in the LMS_COURSE_MASTER table is
not the one that indicates whether a trainee is grandfathered for a particular
mandatory course assignment. The trainee's grandfathered status for the mandatory
course assignment is available
- Sometimes, when a mandatory course is assigned to a business unit, not
all of the trainees included in the business unit are required to take
the course; some are "grandfathered". (For information on the
inclusion of trainees in business units, see KNODE_USER_JOIN.KNODE_ID.)
- A mandatory course is assigned to a business unit, which may include
one or more trainees. The trainees' TRANSFER_TYPE indicates how they
became included in the business unit--as a new employee, or via some
kind of job transfer. (See KNODE_USER_JOIN.TRANSFER_TYPE.) Their TRANSFER_TYPE
is one of the things that may qualify trainees to be grandfathered for
the mandatory course is assignment. The course's GRANDFATHERING_VALUE
(available in the COURSE_MASTER table) indicates what transfer types
are grandfathered for the course. When a course is created, if the GRANDFATHERING_VALUE
is not otherwise specified, it is set by default to 0 (no transfer types
- The GRANDFATHERING_VALUE in the LMS_COURSE_MASTER
table is a scrubbed version of COURSE_MASTER.GRANDFATHERING_VALUE,
and simply indicates (with
a ‘Y’ or an ‘N’) whether the course does
or does not allow for grandfathering based on transfer type.
a course version is created, its GRANDFATHERING_VALUE is stored
in the COURSE_OBJECT table. If its value is not otherwise specified,
it is set by default to the value for the course per the COURSE_MASTER
- When a mandatory course is assigned to a business unit, an
EFFECTIVE_DATE can be specified for the assignment.
- When a trainee's record is set up in Knowledge Link, the DEPT_START_DATE
is stored. When the trainee is assigned to a business unit, the trainee's
TRANSFER_TYPE is stored. (Note: currently, this information is stored
for trainees who are University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS)
employees, but not for other trainees.)
- In the Data Warehouse, LMS_TRAINEE_BU_COURSE_ASSIGN.GRANDFATHERED tracks
whether trainees are grandfathered for their mandatory course assignments.
- A trainee is included in a mandatory course assignment if the
trainee is included in the business unit to which the mandatory
course is assigned. (See KNODE_USER_JOIN.KNODE_ID.) For each mandatory
course assignment, Knowledge Link identifies the trainees that
are included, and determines each trainee's grandfathered status
for the mandatory course assignment. (See LMS_TRAINEE_BU_COURSE_ASSIGN.GRANDFATHERED.)
A trainee is grandfathered for a given mandatory course assignment if at least one of the following is true:
- the trainee's DEPT_START_DATE falls before the mandatory
course assignment's EFFECTIVE_DATE
- the trainee's TRANSFER_TYPE is grandfathered according
to the GRANDFATHERING_VALUE for the course version named
in the mandatory course assignment
- If the trainee is included in only one mandatory course
assignment for the course, the trainee's grandfathered status for
(LMS_TRAINEE_BU_COURSE_ASSIGN.GRANDFATHERED) is the trainee's grandfathered
status for the course.
- If the trainee is included in more than one mandatory course
assignment for the course, the trainee is grandfathered for
the course only if the trainee is grandfathered for all of the
assignments. Otherwise, the trainee is not grandfathered for the
- If the trainee is not grandfathered for the course,
the trainee's grandfathered status for the course is available
in the LMS_TRAINEE_COURSE_COMPLIANCE table, which also stores information
used by Knowledge Link when sending E-mail Notifications to the
trainee about the currently required course. The course is currently
required for the trainee if: (1) it is actively assigned as a
mandatory course to a business unit that
currently includes the trainee, and (2) the trainee is not grandfathered
for the course.
- The E-mail Notifications parameters in the LMS_COURSE_MASTER table are
not the ones that control whether Knowledge Link sends E-mail Notifications
a currently required course to a particular trainee.
- When a course is created, if the values for the E-mail Notifications
not otherwise specified, they are set by default as follows:
- COURSE_NOTIFICATION: 'Y' (E-mail Notifications are turned
on for this course)
- COURSE_ASSIGNMENT: 'N' (E-mail Notifications are not sent
to trainees when a course assignment is created that indicates
that this course is currently required for them)
- COURSE_STATUS_SD: 'Y' (E-mail Notifications are
sent to trainees when their status for this course becomes 'Soon
- COURSE_STATUS_PD: 'Y' (E-mail Notifications
are sent to trainees when their status for this course becomes
- COURSE_SD_BOUNDARY: 30 (a trainee's status for this course
becomes Soon Due 30 days before the trainee's Due Date for this
- COURSE_SD_RECURR: 'Once' (E-mail Notifications are sent
only once to trainees when their status for this course becomes
- COURSE_PD_RECURR: 'Once' (E-mail Notifications are sent
only once to trainees when their status for this course becomes
- When a course version is created, its E-mail Notifications parameters
are stored in the COURSE_OBJECT table. (The names of the parameters for
the course version are the names of the parameters for
the course, with 'COURSE_' removed--for example, NOTIFICATION.) If the
values for these parameters are not otherwise specified, they are set
- When a mandatory course is assigned to a business unit, if the E-mail
Notifications parameters for the mandatory course assignment are not otherwise
they are set by default to the values for the course version (per the
COURSE_OBJECT table). The E-mail Notifications parameters for the mandatory
are stored in the LMS_GOVERNING table.
- Whether Knowledge Link sends E-mail Notifications about a course to
a particular trainee depends not only on the parameters for the mandatory
course assignment, but also on the trainee's GRANDFATHERED status for
the course, the date when the trainee is next due to complete the course
(DUE_DATE), and the status of that date relative to today's date (STATUS_DUEDATE_DESCRIPTION).
The LMS_TRAINEE_BU_COURSE_ASSIGN table stores these three data elements
for the trainees and their mandatory course assignments. These
three data elements are also available in LMS_TRAINEE_COURSE_COMPLIANCE
for trainees and their currently required courses (that is, mandatory
courses for which the trainees are not grandfathered).
Knowledge Link, the learning management system used by the University and
by the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS) since March, 2005.
Knowledge Link enables authorized administrators to schedule training
courses, assign resources to courses, assign groups of trainees to courses,
and to create online courses. It enables trainees to find out what courses
have been assigned to them, to register for those courses (whether those courses
are on-line or instructor-led), to take on-line courses, and to provide feedback
via course evaluations. Knowledge Link was first used to track information
on training required by regulation, but it now tracks information on a variety
Questions about this page? Email us at email@example.com