IT Privacy Initiative:
Join Key in the Data Warehouse
April 12 and 17, 2007
Bits and Pieces Room - Sansom West, 3rd floor
- Overview of objective, problem analysis
- Proposed solution: Data Warehouse ID (alias for legacy ID)
- Outline distributed to attendees
- Convert Id utility introduced, information distributed
- Discussion points:
- Why every record in data warehouse does not have a PennId
- What should field be called?
- How frequently will the number change?
- Will previous alias field be added to tables and views?
- Will there be a central lookup table?
- If lookup and audit tables were provided for the alias, legacy ID could be eliminated soon
- Need to be able to use this alias in downloads to downstream databases
- While users see the need for records to have PennId, they must be able to provide accurate counts even for those records without PennId
- If this Data Warehouse ID cannot be used as a local key, more users will need access to the legacy ID
- Greatest concern is for historical records currently without PennID
- Suggestion for overall discussion of Penn Community conflict resolution process
- Alternate approaches are currently under discussion.
[ Data Administration ]
Information Systems and Computing, University of Pennsylvania