Next Generation PennNet/Distributing the Routing Core
- Distribute routing core to minimize catastrophic network failure.
- Build redundant network links to buildings.
- Upgrade 15 year old multi-mode fiber to single-mode fiber to prepare for Gigabit Ethernet.
- Build Next Generation PennNet and prepare for future technologies and convergence by building the next generation infrastructure/fiber network.
- Vagelos Labs Network Aggregation Point (NAP) completed.
- Huntsman NAP designed.
- Some strategic conduit installed during construction for other campus projects.
- Design completed for redundant links to 3401 Walnut, Franklin Building and VPL.
- 11/1/2000 distributed router operational.
- 1/1/2001 redundant network servers operational using Storage Area Network technology.