Challenge Eight: Next Generation PennNet
- Distribute routing core across campus to minimize single point of catastrophic network failure.
- Build redundant network links between the Network Aggregation Points (NAPs) and to critical buildings.
- Upgrade 15-20 year-old multi-mode fiber and installing single-mode fiber to prepare for multi-Gigabit network speeds.
- Build Next Generation PennNet infrastructure to prepare for future technologies and convergence.
- Replace existing old College Hall (NAP) with 5 new NAPs.
- Build mini-data centers in each NAP for data, voice, and video servers.
- Link NAPs with single-mode fiber.
- Single-mode fiber going to each building.