Note: These instructions are for PennNet Phone only. If you do not record a personal greeting,
callers will hear the generic system greeting: “Please leave your message
after the tone. When done, hang up or press the pound key.”
Step One: Create Your Password
When initializing your voice mail account for the first time, you must
create your password using PPS. Afterwards, you can change your password
using either PPS or by calling into voice
- Log in
to PPS (PennKey
authentication required). For information about this web service, see
- At the Home page, click on “Features and Voice Mail” in
the left navigation column.
- At the Features and Voice Mail Settings page, type a new
password in the Create New
- Re-enter your password in the Confirm Password field.
- Click the Submit button.
PPS updates your account with the new password.
- Click "Log Out" in the left navigation column to exit PPS.
Step Two: Record Your Greeting
- Using your phone, press
the Messages button to the right of the keypad to access voice mail. For
instructions on how to access voice mail using
a traditional phone or when off campus, see Navigating
Voice Mail Shortcuts.
- At the prompt, enter your password.
- Press 0 for
- Follow the prompts to record your personal greeting.
- Select the type of greeting
you want to record. Record either an unavailable or name greeting. Do not
- Press 1 for unavailable (what callers
will hear when you do not answer your phone).
- Press 2 for busy (what callers will hear when
on the phone)
- Press 3 for name (callers will hear the generic system greeting
but your name will be in your voice).
- Wait to hear the system prompt, record your
greeting, then press # when you’re done.
- Choose the status for the recording:
- Press 1 to accept this recording
- Press 2 to listen to it
- Press 3 to re-record it
- When finished, press * to return to main menu or
* # to exit.
Step One: Initialize Your Voice Messaging Mailbox
- When you know the password you plan to use, call into the voice mailbox system by dialing V-O-I-C-E (8--6423). To initialize your new mailbox, you must call the voice mail system from the phone extension associated with your new mailbox.
- When prompted, enter the temporary password given to you when your new mailbox was created. Then press the pound (#) key.
- Next, enter the 6 to 15-digit password you've chosen for your account. Then press the pound (#) key.
- You will then be prompted to record the name associated with the new mailbox. At the prompt clearly say your name and then press the pound (#) key.
- Next the system will prompt you to record your name and personal greeting.
- To exit the voice mail system, press the star (*) sign until you hear the prompt say "Good-bye."
Note: The default when creating a new voice mailbox is to forward a caller to voice mail after 3 rings. If you would like to customize forwarding to voice mail, please call the Customer Service Team at 746-6000 or write to email@example.com
Step Two: Accessing Messages Once Voice Mail Is Activated
Please go to Navigatng
Voice Mail Shortcuts
to learn more about navigating the voice mail system to review and manage your
voice mail messages.